We are past mid- March and the scorching summer is on its way to hit UAE very soon. Starting from now is the time we go nuts over everything citrus. It’s a different thing that UAE is not a place where you have to wait for a particular season to have any seasonal fruit. No matter what season it is you will get almost everything here throughout the year from any part of the world. So, to have citrus fruits, season is not really a mandatory factor here except for Blood Oranges. These are not something I see here often and since I have spotted them in the market I have been thinking of baking with them.
To be frank the bloody red color of blood orange is what allured me into the thought of baking with it. Although it is in season when I needed them I was finding it difficult to spot them in any of the nearby shops here. Finally, after a long wait when I managed to get them, much to my disappointment, they turned out to be pale orange in color inside with slightly red edges. And, I could see the idea of making a pink glaze out of these oranges vanishing out of my thoughts. Still, I decided to go ahead with the cake recipe that was developing in my head.
When the cake was done, to my surprise I liked the frosting and finishing touch turned out to be much better than the pink glaze I had in my mind. Yes, that’s my Eureka moment right there! Now, about the texture of the cake, it was super moist and light with a citrusy and nutty flavour to it. Quite summery I say!
So, let’s get down to the recipe, shall we?
All purpose flour – 1.5 cups
Nut flour (Pistachio & Almond) – ½ cup
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Baking Soda – ¼ tsp
Salt – ¼ tsp
Butter – ½ cup
Granulated Sugar – 1 ¼ cup
Eggs – 3
Blood Orange Juice – 1 cup
Blood Orange zest – 1 tsp
Ground Cardamom – 1 tsp
Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
Butter – ¼ cup
Icing Sugar – ½ cup
White Chocolate chips – ¼ cup
Whipping cream – ¼ cup
Cardamom – ¼ tsp
Vanilla – ¼ tsp
- Preheat the oven to 250°C. Grease a 9-inch round pan and keep aside.
- In a large bowl mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cardamom powder with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl cream the butter and sugar with a hand or stand mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs into the cream mixture one at a time combining well after every addition.
- Add the vanilla essence and combine well.
- Add the flour mixture into the prepared egg mixture alternating with the juice, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Add in the orange zest and mix it just to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake at 180°C for 40-45minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Melt the white chocolate with a little whipping cream in a microwave and keep aside to cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until it turns fluffy.
- Add the melted white chocolate, whipping cream, cardamom, and vanilla to the cream mixture and give it a quick whip to form soft peaks.
- Once the cake cools down completely (preferably overnight) spread the prepared icing on the top the way you want and finish it off with some blood orange slices and crushed pistachios.